Friday, October 30, 2009
ஸ்ரீ லலிதையின் சரிதை 7 ( ஸ்ரீபுரம் )
Sripura varnanam(description of Sripura )
What does Sripura mean?
359. After the annihilation of Bhandasura, Trimurtis called upon the cosmic architect
Viswakarma and the architect of demons Maya , and instructed them to construct 16
palaces in 16 kshetras (sacred places) for the residence of Lalita &Shiva Kameswara
Meru and other gigantic mountains (9) Jalasamudra and other oceans (7) –total 16
Kshetras. The palatial buildings of mother goddess located in these kshetras are
360. Wherever a Sripura is located , its dimensions are like this.
A.)Mount Meru has 4 peaks
One on the eastern side, one on north west, one on the south west
Each is 100 yojanas tall and 100 yojanas wide these are trimurtis worlds
In the center of these is the fourth, which is 400 yojanas tall and 400 yojanas wide
B.) Sripura is on the Middle peak
Sripura has got metallic compound walls 7 in number they are square shaped. Each
wall is separated from the next one by one a distance of 7 yojanas.
1. Kalayasa (iron)wall – The perimeter of this wall is 16 thousand yojanas
2. Kansya (bronze)wall—Between these two is the first chamber. Several trees and
gardens are located here. Mahakali and Mahakala are the gate keepers
here.Kalachakra is their throne.
3. Tamra(copper)wall—Here is a forest of Kalpavruksha (wish granting tree).This is
also called as Kalpavatica. This is the second chamber.Vasanta(spring) is its
protector .Madhusri and Madhavasri are his consorts.
4. Seesa(lead)wall—Here is a forest of santana trees(progeny granting).This is the
third chamber Grishma(summer) is the ruler . Shukrasri and Shuchisri are his
5. Aarkuta (brass)wall—This is the fourth chamber. Here is a forest of Hari chandana
vruksha(yellow fragrant sandal wood).The ruler is varsharutu(rainy
season).Nabhasri and Nabhasyasri are his consorts.
6. Panchaloha(five metal) wall—In this fifth chamber is a garden of mandara trees
(Calotropis gigantea) .Sharadrutu is the protector . Ishasri and Urjasri are his
7. Raupya(silver)wall –Sixth chamber .Parijata tree forest .Hemantarutu is the
protector. Sahasri and Sahasyasri are his consorts.
8. Hema(gold)wall—Seventh chamber. Kadamba forest. Sisira (winter)is the
protector. Tavasri and Tavasyasri are his consorts. This is where Mantrini devi
resides in a temple.She has one more quarter very close to that of Lalita devi in
Mahapadmatavi(forest of lotuses).When she is on duty she stays in that quarter
.In this seventh chamber near Mantrini’s residence Matanga kanyas are
constantly singing and dancing..
Matanga kanyaka charitra(story of Matanga kanya)
361. In the olden days a sage named Matanga used to expand the creation by
virtue of the power of his penance.
362. His son Matanga was a great saint and practicant of penance. He was friend
363.Once Himavanta started boasting saying that he was the father of Gauri devi.
364. With that Matanga felt humiliated and started great penance for Mudrinidevi
(Mudrinidevi is none other than Mantrini devi who had received a ring from Lalita
devi .She is also called Shyamala devi.
365. She was very happy with his penance and gave boon that she herself would
be born as a daughter to him.
366.A few days later Shyamaladevi appeared in the dream of Siddhamati
devi(consort of Matanga).Shyamaladevi gave her a flower from the bunch
decorating the formers ear.
367. Very soon she had a female child who was named Laghushyama as she was
born in a very short duration (Laghu = short, small). She was also called Matangi,
Matanga Kanyaka. With her power she generated crores of virgins, who stay near
Mantrini devi’s house and keep singing her praises all the time...
(to be continued)