Friday, October 30, 2009
ஸ்ரீ லலிதையின் சரிதை 6
Agni prakara (compound wall made of fire)
288. Both of them went to Lalita devi, expressed sorry for what had happened and
made arrangements for protection.
289. At the instance of Lalita devi,Jwalamalini devi made a compound wall of fire
around the devi’s army The fire wall is 100 yojana wide and 30 yojana tall. (1 yojana
is approximately 8 miles).
290.At the southern end of fire wall is a 1 yojana long entry, to enable devi’s army
go out and fight because Shunyapuram is facing this end.(L.S.N—jwalamalini
291. Stambhini devi a member of Dandanatha devi family along with 20 akshohini
senas was protecting this entry point. She is also called Vighna devi.
292. By then it was dawn.
293. Knowing all this news Bhandasura was in despair and started thinking what to
294. This time he sent all his 30 sons for the war
295. After listening to this news Lalita devi’s daughter Baladevi wanted to fight
these demons herself.
296. Baladevi is the only daughter of Lalita devi .She resembles Lalita devi very
much but is always only 9 years old .She stays permanently with her mother only.
297. Baladevi approached her mother and requested for permission to fight in the
298. At the outset Lalita devi denied but looking at the courage and will power
exhibited by Bala devi she ultimately gave permission.
299. Seeing Bala devi coming for the war Mantrini and Dandanayaka were
astonished , they stood as her body guards.
300.Now Baladevi started ferocious fighting with Bhanda’s sons. Every one was
surprised at her valour
301.Whole of the second day Baladevi fought. That evening she shot 30 arrows at a
time and killed 30 sons of Bhanda.
302. Lalita devi was very happy and she embraced her daughter (L.S.N---
Bhandaputravadhodyukta bala vikrama nandita)
303. Bhanda was grief stricken. Desperately he himself started off for the war
304. Vishukra and Vishanga pacified Bandasura
Vighnayentra nashnam (Destruction of the mystic symbol of obstacles)
305. Now Bhanda sent Vishukra to the warfront.
306. In the darkness Vishukra approached the Vahniprakara (firewall) –on a flat
stone he drew a mystic symbol and performed some black magic.
307. He then threw that mystic symbol forcefully. It fell in the firewall at some point.
308. With the affect of that yantra (mystic symbol) laziness crept into the minds of
the devi’s army
(a.) Some started arguing that war itself was wrong.
(b.) Some said, “Why should we fight on behalf of the gods”.
(c.) Some said, “Who is this Lalita devi? Who has given her superior ship over us?”
(d.) Some said, “If all of us together decline not to fight what can Lalita devi do?”
(e.) All of them fell into sleep of ignorance.
309. After midnight Vishukra along with 30 akshohini sena surrounded the fire
310. Even then none of the members of shaktisena moved under the influence of the
ignorance caused by the Vighna yentra
311. However, Vighnayentra was not able to affect Mantrini and Dandanatha. But
they were both very sad worried seeing the state of their army.
312. Not knowing what to do they went and enquired Lalita devi.
313.Then Lalita devi looked at the Kameshwara’s face and passed a gentle smile.
314. From her smile Ganapathi took birth.
315. He immediately searched in the firewall and noticed the ‘vighnayentra shila’ at
one place. He broke the shila into pieces and powder with his tooth.
(kameshwaramukhaloka kalpita sri ganeshwara
Mahaganesha nirbhinna vighnayentra praharsita)
316. With that shaktisena’s ignorance and sleep was dispelled, they immediately got
ready for the war.
317. Now Vighneswara along with this army came out of the fire barrier and started
fighting with Vishukra.
318. Vishukra sent Gajasura to attack him but soon Gajasura was slayed. Seeing this
Vishukra ran away.
Annihilation of Vishukra and Vishanga
319.After discussing with Bhandasura, Vishukra came back to war, along with his
brother Vishanga and son- in –law. With this the third day war had started.
320. Mantrini and Dandanatha both started to fight simultaneously
321. In the front was Dandanatha devi mounted on her kirichakra ratha with her
plough weapon (halayudha) swirling it rapidly.
322.Behind her was Mantrini devi mounted on Geyachakra ratha as an archer with
bow and arrows
323.Dandanatha devi attacked Vishunga.
324. Mantrini devi confronted Vishukra.
325. Ashwarudha, Sampatkari and others attacked the son- in-law of the demons
who had come .
326.The army of the demons started slackening. Noticing this Vishukra discharged
Trushastram(weapon which produces thirst). Shaktisena’s army started to
experience intense thirst.
327.Then Dandanatha devi invited ‘Madyasamudra’(=ocean of liquor) devata from
her kirichakra and quenched their thirst.
328. Madyasamudra deva showered liquor rains. With that the army quenched their
thirst and rejuvenated.
329. By sunset most of the demons including Bhanda’s son-in-law had died.
330. Then Shyamala devi (Mantrini) fought with Vishukra and killed him with
‘Brahmashironamakastra’ (a powerful weapon named brahmashira)
331. Dandanatha devi (Potrini) killed Vishanga with her plough weapon and pestle.
However in Lalita sahasranama it is mentioned that Vishukra was killed by Varahi
and Vishanga was killed by Mantrini—
Mantrinyamba virachita vishanga vadhatoshita
Vishukra prana harana varahiveryanandita
332. By then it was past midnight.
333. Only Kutilaksha the commander in chief was left over to console Bhandasura
334.Bhanda along with Kutilaksha started towards the battlefield
335.2185 akshohini army along with 40 commanders followed him
336. A). He boarded a chariot named ‘Aabhilamu’(=dreadful).It is dragged by 1000
lions instead of horses.
B). His sword is named Yatana (= torture in hell)
337. Noticing this Lalita devi herself started moving in her Srichakra raja ratha
towards the warfront
338. Behind her was Mantrini in Geyachakra ratha followed by Potrini in kirichakra
339.Other shakti deities followed her in crores.
340. In the usage of sastra’s (mystic weapons) and pratyastra (corresponding
neutralising weapons), none of them were drawn aback
(LSN—Bhandasurendra nirmukta shastra pratyastra varshini)
341.Now Bandasura by his mystical powers regenerated Madhukaitabha, Raktabija
and other old demons
342. Then Lalita devi made a violent frenzied laughter –Durga devi and other deities
described in chandisaptashati were born and slayed these demons
343. Now Bhanda generated Somaka and other demons
344. Then Lalita devi generated the 10 incarnations of Vishnu from the finger tips of
her hands (LSN – Karanguli nakhotpanna narayana dasakrutih)
345. Sun was about to set. Lalita devi decided not to delay any more. She then
discharged Narayana astra and Pashupata astra and destroyed the demons and their
commanders who were all turned down into ashes
(LSN—Mahapashupatastragni nirdagdhasura sainyaka)
346 .Now Bhandasura was the only one left
347. Lalita devi discharged the Mahakameshawarastra and annihilated Bhandasura .
Immediately his shunyaka town got burnt down. (LSN—Kameshwarastra nirdagdha
348. Gods proclaimed victory of Lalita devi on the drums and they showered flowers,
lighted camphor blazes and shouted victory slogans...
Kama sanjeevanam(rebirth of kama)
349. Brahma, Vishnu, Indra and other gods praised Lalita devi’s grandeur
(LSN—Brahmopendra mahendradi deva samstuta vaibhava)
350 In that praise they proclaimed thus-
A.) Mother! Bhanda is dead but his friend Taraka is still alive to trouble us.
B.) To annihilate him Shiva must have a son
C.) We were trying for the same but in the mean while Manmadha (god of love) died
and all these events happened
D.) Therefore kindly give rebirth to Manmadha and perform the marriage of Shiva
351. Lalita devi smiled compassionately and looked at Kameshwara. From her looks
Manmadha took rebirth .(LSN- Haranetragni sandagdha amasanjeevanaushadhih=
Lalita devi is the sacred herb sajeevini which gave rebirth to Manmadha who was
destroyed by the fire from Shiva’s eye).
352. Rati and Manmadha prostrated to the mother goddess and praised her.
353. The mother goddess blessed them and instructed-
A.) Manmadha! Now you need not fear
B.) Go once again and cast your magical arrow on Shiva
C.) Shiva will loose to you and will marry Parvathi
D.) With my blessings Shiva will do you no harm.
E.) From now on you can enter every ones body and cause aesthetic/ sensuous
pleasures to them.
F.) Protect my devotees
354. At the instructions of mother goddess Manmadha with his family went and cast
his magic charm on Shiva. This time Shiva left renunciation and started searching
vehemently for parvathi
355. Then Manmadha cast magical arrows on Parvati also
356. Shiva was very pleased with parvathi’s penance. He appeared before her,
granted a boon and married her.
357. Kumaraswamy was born to Shiva and Parvathi .He became the commander of
god’s army and annihilated Tarakasura. He then married Devasena devi, the
daughter of Indra.
358.After helping all the gods Manmadha left to Sripura to serve goddess Lalita devi.
(to be continued)