Friday, October 30, 2009
ஸ்ரீ லலிதையின் சரிதை 5
Devi vijaya yatra (Devi’s victory procession)
222. Later Lalita devi, making the noise emanating from the four oceans as the
drums and accompanied with several other instruments proceeded for the battle
223. From Lalitha devi’s Ankusham (=spear), ‘Sampat karidevi’, came out along
with crores and crores of elephants and started following Lalita devi (sampatkari
samarudha sindhura vraja sevita ) .
224. Sampatkari Devi was sitting on the elephant named ‘Ranakolahalam’ (=battle
bustle, battle uproar).
225. From Lalita devi’s Pasham (=whip) arose Ashwaroodha devi along with a big
army of horses and was moving in front of Lalita devi.
(ashwarudhadhishtishtaswa koti kotibhiravruta) .
226. The horse carrying Ashwaroodha devi was named ‘Aparajitam’ (=one which
cannot be defeated).
227. Later , commander of the army Dandanatha devi played the drums to start
228. As the march started Dandanatha devi got down from her chariot and sat down
on the lion. The lion is named ‘Vajraghosham’ (kirichakra ratha rudha damdanadha
229. All her soldiers started praising her by twelve different names.
(Panchami dandanatha cha sakjeta samayeshwari
tatha samaya sakjeta varahi potrini tatha
vartali cha maha sena pyajna chakreshwari tatha
arighni cheti samproktam nama dwadasakam yune)
230. Later Mantrini devi played the drums of marching. Her soldiers were mainly
decorated sensuously. They were playing veenas and singing.
231. Mantrini devi was moving in her Geyachakra ratha (circle of army formed by
singers) [geyachakra ratha rudha mantrini parisevita]
232. She was being praised by sixteen names.
Sangeeta yogini shyama shyamala mantra nayika
mantrini sachiveshani pradhaneshi shukapriya
vina vati vainiki cha mudrini priyakapriya
nipapriya kadambeshi kadamba vanavasini
sadamada cha namani shodashaitaini kumbhaja
One who recites this strotra can conquer all the three worlds.
233. Then, from the bird in the hands of Mantrini devi, appeared god Dhanurveda
with a spectacular bow in his hand and said “Mother! this bow is called chitrajeevam.
This quiver is akshaya (=one which is unlimited, fills up spontaneously).Please
accept them for demolishing the demons.”
234. Now Lalita devi started moving with sugarcane, bow, arrows, spear and whip in
235. She is being praised with 25 names
simhasanesi lalitha maharajni varankusha
sundari chakranatha cha samrajni chakrini ratha
chakreshwari mahadevi kameshi parameshwari
kamaraja priyakamakotika chakravartini
mahavidya shivananga vallabha sarvapatala
kulanatha amnayanatha sarvamnaya nivasini
shringara nayika cheti pancha vimshati namabhih
One who recites this stotra attains ashtasiddhi (8 spiritual accomplishments)
236. Bandasuravadhodyukta shaktisena samanvita in Lalita sahasranama stotram
means one who is ready with her army (shaktisena) to annihilate Bhandasura.
Bhanda’s war preparation :
237. While Lalita devi was proceeding for the war, many bad omens were observed
in Bhanda’s ‘Shunyaka’ town.
238. Bhandasura called upon an urgent meeting along with his brothers Vishukra
and Vishanga to assess and evaluate the situation.
239. In the meeting vishukra spoke thus
a.) All gods have burnt themselves by jumping into fire, out of despair
b.)From that fire arose mother goddess, who rejuvenated all gods
c.) She is coming for a war with us, along with an army of women
d.)Those gods are trying to cut stones using tender leaves
e.)Even then we should not neglect that woman. We must send our army
240. Vishanga told
a.) Any work should only be done after properly thinking about it.
b.)First we must send spies and see how powerful their army is.
c.) We must not under estimate the enemies army.
d.) In the past Hiranyakashipa was killed by an animal.
e.)Sumbha and Nishumbha were killed by a woman.
f.) So, we must get more information about her
g.)Who is she ? Who is supporting or protecting her?
What does she want? All these queries should be answered
241.Listening to this Bhandasura shuddered the proposal with a sarcastic grin. Even
if all the gods are behind her, we have nothing to fear. Do not entertain such useless
thoughts and spoil your mind
242. Immediately Bhandasura ordered ‘Kutilaksha’, Commander-in-chief of his army,
to protect the fort
243. He ordered the priests and ministers to perform abhichara(black magic) homa
244.He ordered Lalita to be dragged to him holding her hair
245.Now, the demons played the war drums. Kutilaksha sent the first batch of army
with demon Durmada as the commander
246.At Shunyapura Kutilaksha made arrangements for protection -
Eastern entry _ Tala jangha, Southern entry - Tala bhuja, Western entry -- Tala
griva, Northern entry - Tala ketu were placed along with 10 akshohini army each.
247.For each corner of the town another 10 akshohini was allocated for protection
Shakti senas’s uproar
248. Durmada was confronted by Sampatkaridevi and her army of elephants (who
arose from Lalita devi’s spear)
249. Realising that his army was being defeated Durmada himself came for the war
seated on a camel
250. Sampatkari devi who was seated on ‘Ranakolahala’ her elephant, faced him.
251. In the ferocious battle Durmada was able to destroy one gem from the crown of
252. Angry with this, Sampatkari devi killed Durmada with her arrows which pierced
253. With that the remaining demons fled back to their town out of fear.
254. Listening to this Bhandasura was very angry and sent Durmada’s elder brother
Kurunda for battle. He is an expert in maya yuddha(war using mystical powers)
255.Full of vengeance he attacked Sampatkari devi
256. In the meanwhile Ashwarudha devi who had taken birth from Lalita devi’s whip
came forward and pleaded Sampatkari devi to give her a chance to fight with this
257. Now Ashwarudha devi along with her army pounced upon Kurunda
258. Ashwarudha devi mounted on ‘Aparajita’ was herself leading the army. In that
battle she killed Kurunda by piercing his chest with her spear. Remaining demons
fled for their lives.
259. Bhanda became furious. He sent a huge army this time (100 akshohini) along
with 5 commanders.
260. They materialised serpent gods by name ‘Ranashambari’ which attacked
shaktisena. The demons had previously defeated gods using these mystic powers.
261. Crores and crores of serpents, which arose from the serpent gods, started
torturing the shaktisena.
262. They were taking birth again and again even after being killed a number of
263. Then Nakuli devi mounted on garuda came to the battlefield. From her mouth
came out 32 crores of mongooses. These mongooses started gobbling up all the
newborn serpents immediately after birth.
264. Then Nakulidevi killed Ranashambari with Garudastram
265. All the five commanders now attacked Nakuli devi
266. Nakuli devi’s mongoose army attacked them from the rear
267. In that ferocious battle Nakuli devi who was mounted on Garuda was making
aerial strikes on the demons who were not able to catch her. She killed the five
commanders by chopping of their heads
268. Bhanda after listening to this sent Valahaka and other seven commanders along
with 300 akshohini army.
269.These seven demons are sons of demoness named Kikasa.In the past they
obtained a boon from sun god that- at the time of war sun would reside in their
270. As soon as these demons entered the battlefield the shaktisena army started
becoming blindfolded and incapacitated unable to face the brilliance of their eyes.
Demons started becoming ferocious.
271. Immediately the bodyguard of Dandanatha devi –named Tiraskarinika devi,
entered the battle field mounted on an aeroplane named ‘Tamoliptam’.
272.At the order of Damdanatha devi she discharged an arrow named ‘Andhanastra’,
and the seven commanders were forced to close their eyes. Now shakti sena started
273. Keeping Tiraskarinika devi in the forefront, other gods killed the seven
274. With this blow Bhandasura lost his senses. He called upon his two brothers for a
275. In that meeting it was decided that Vishanga would attack devi’s army from its
rear side in a treacherous way (This is called Parshti grahamu). This decision was
taken because they got information from their spies that Lalita devi was having less
army and protection at her rear end and it was easier for them to approach Lalita
devi directly and attack her, if they approached from the rear.
276. After the first day’s war, at dusk, Vishanga with a small army proceeded to the
rear of Lalita devi’s army noiselessly without any drums
277. By then Lalita devi’s army was moving westward. Vishanga along with his army
moved north wards and then turned to reach eastern side
278. He was able to see Srichakraraja chariot very near to him. Lalita devi was
looking forward observing the movement of the army. She was not having much
army close to her
279. Taking this opportunity Vishanga attacked devi’s chariot from the rear, all of a
280 Anima and other gods who were present there were taken back at this sudden
attack but quickly recovered themselves and prepared for a counter fight.
281. Exactly at the same time Kutilaksha along with ten akshohini army attacked
from the front side
282. Seeing attack from both ends Lalita devi was a little angry. In the mean while,
struck by an arrow from Vishanga, the fan present in Lalita devi’s hand fell down and
283. Seeing this Tithidevatas got very angry. They went and requested Lalita devi
that Vahnivasini and Jwalamalini nitya devas have property and capacity of self
illumination. If they glow then the demons who are in the dark will all become
284. With the permission of Lalita devi, Vahnivasini and Jwalamalini devis started
glowing like fireballs. All the demons who were hiding in darkness now became
285. Now the 16 nitya devi’s became outrageous and attacked Vishanga’s army. All
the commanders in the demons army died.
286. Wounded all over the body Vishanga fled for his life shamelessly. Even
Kutilaksha who attacked from the front also fled. (In Lalita sahasranama -
nityaparakrama topa nirikshana samatsuka =seeing the valour of nityadevatas,Lalita
devi was very pleased)
287. Mantrini devi and Dandanatha devi felt unhappy about this unprecedented
attack in the night They felt very sorry that their arrangements of protection were
not up to the mark.
(to be continued)