Friday, October 30, 2009
Sripura varnanam(description of Sripura )
What does Sripura mean?
359. After the annihilation of Bhandasura, Trimurtis called upon the cosmic architect
Viswakarma and the architect of demons Maya , and instructed them to construct 16
palaces in 16 kshetras (sacred places) for the residence of Lalita &Shiva Kameswara
Meru and other gigantic mountains (9) Jalasamudra and other oceans (7) –total 16
Kshetras. The palatial buildings of mother goddess located in these kshetras are
360. Wherever a Sripura is located , its dimensions are like this.
A.)Mount Meru has 4 peaks
One on the eastern side, one on north west, one on the south west
Each is 100 yojanas tall and 100 yojanas wide these are trimurtis worlds
In the center of these is the fourth, which is 400 yojanas tall and 400 yojanas wide
B.) Sripura is on the Middle peak
Sripura has got metallic compound walls 7 in number they are square shaped. Each
wall is separated from the next one by one a distance of 7 yojanas.
1. Kalayasa (iron)wall – The perimeter of this wall is 16 thousand yojanas
2. Kansya (bronze)wall—Between these two is the first chamber. Several trees and
gardens are located here. Mahakali and Mahakala are the gate keepers
here.Kalachakra is their throne.
3. Tamra(copper)wall—Here is a forest of Kalpavruksha (wish granting tree).This is
also called as Kalpavatica. This is the second chamber.Vasanta(spring) is its
protector .Madhusri and Madhavasri are his consorts.
4. Seesa(lead)wall—Here is a forest of santana trees(progeny granting).This is the
third chamber Grishma(summer) is the ruler . Shukrasri and Shuchisri are his
5. Aarkuta (brass)wall—This is the fourth chamber. Here is a forest of Hari chandana
vruksha(yellow fragrant sandal wood).The ruler is varsharutu(rainy
season).Nabhasri and Nabhasyasri are his consorts.
6. Panchaloha(five metal) wall—In this fifth chamber is a garden of mandara trees
(Calotropis gigantea) .Sharadrutu is the protector . Ishasri and Urjasri are his
7. Raupya(silver)wall –Sixth chamber .Parijata tree forest .Hemantarutu is the
protector. Sahasri and Sahasyasri are his consorts.
8. Hema(gold)wall—Seventh chamber. Kadamba forest. Sisira (winter)is the
protector. Tavasri and Tavasyasri are his consorts. This is where Mantrini devi
resides in a temple.She has one more quarter very close to that of Lalita devi in
Mahapadmatavi(forest of lotuses).When she is on duty she stays in that quarter
.In this seventh chamber near Mantrini’s residence Matanga kanyas are
constantly singing and dancing..
Matanga kanyaka charitra(story of Matanga kanya)
361. In the olden days a sage named Matanga used to expand the creation by
virtue of the power of his penance.
362. His son Matanga was a great saint and practicant of penance. He was friend
363.Once Himavanta started boasting saying that he was the father of Gauri devi.
364. With that Matanga felt humiliated and started great penance for Mudrinidevi
(Mudrinidevi is none other than Mantrini devi who had received a ring from Lalita
devi .She is also called Shyamala devi.
365. She was very happy with his penance and gave boon that she herself would
be born as a daughter to him.
366.A few days later Shyamaladevi appeared in the dream of Siddhamati
devi(consort of Matanga).Shyamaladevi gave her a flower from the bunch
decorating the formers ear.
367. Very soon she had a female child who was named Laghushyama as she was
born in a very short duration (Laghu = short, small). She was also called Matangi,
Matanga Kanyaka. With her power she generated crores of virgins, who stay near
Mantrini devi’s house and keep singing her praises all the time...
(to be continued)
Agni prakara (compound wall made of fire)
288. Both of them went to Lalita devi, expressed sorry for what had happened and
made arrangements for protection.
289. At the instance of Lalita devi,Jwalamalini devi made a compound wall of fire
around the devi’s army The fire wall is 100 yojana wide and 30 yojana tall. (1 yojana
is approximately 8 miles).
290.At the southern end of fire wall is a 1 yojana long entry, to enable devi’s army
go out and fight because Shunyapuram is facing this end.(L.S.N—jwalamalini
291. Stambhini devi a member of Dandanatha devi family along with 20 akshohini
senas was protecting this entry point. She is also called Vighna devi.
292. By then it was dawn.
293. Knowing all this news Bhandasura was in despair and started thinking what to
294. This time he sent all his 30 sons for the war
295. After listening to this news Lalita devi’s daughter Baladevi wanted to fight
these demons herself.
296. Baladevi is the only daughter of Lalita devi .She resembles Lalita devi very
much but is always only 9 years old .She stays permanently with her mother only.
297. Baladevi approached her mother and requested for permission to fight in the
298. At the outset Lalita devi denied but looking at the courage and will power
exhibited by Bala devi she ultimately gave permission.
299. Seeing Bala devi coming for the war Mantrini and Dandanayaka were
astonished , they stood as her body guards.
300.Now Baladevi started ferocious fighting with Bhanda’s sons. Every one was
surprised at her valour
301.Whole of the second day Baladevi fought. That evening she shot 30 arrows at a
time and killed 30 sons of Bhanda.
302. Lalita devi was very happy and she embraced her daughter (L.S.N---
Bhandaputravadhodyukta bala vikrama nandita)
303. Bhanda was grief stricken. Desperately he himself started off for the war
304. Vishukra and Vishanga pacified Bandasura
Vighnayentra nashnam (Destruction of the mystic symbol of obstacles)
305. Now Bhanda sent Vishukra to the warfront.
306. In the darkness Vishukra approached the Vahniprakara (firewall) –on a flat
stone he drew a mystic symbol and performed some black magic.
307. He then threw that mystic symbol forcefully. It fell in the firewall at some point.
308. With the affect of that yantra (mystic symbol) laziness crept into the minds of
the devi’s army
(a.) Some started arguing that war itself was wrong.
(b.) Some said, “Why should we fight on behalf of the gods”.
(c.) Some said, “Who is this Lalita devi? Who has given her superior ship over us?”
(d.) Some said, “If all of us together decline not to fight what can Lalita devi do?”
(e.) All of them fell into sleep of ignorance.
309. After midnight Vishukra along with 30 akshohini sena surrounded the fire
310. Even then none of the members of shaktisena moved under the influence of the
ignorance caused by the Vighna yentra
311. However, Vighnayentra was not able to affect Mantrini and Dandanatha. But
they were both very sad worried seeing the state of their army.
312. Not knowing what to do they went and enquired Lalita devi.
313.Then Lalita devi looked at the Kameshwara’s face and passed a gentle smile.
314. From her smile Ganapathi took birth.
315. He immediately searched in the firewall and noticed the ‘vighnayentra shila’ at
one place. He broke the shila into pieces and powder with his tooth.
(kameshwaramukhaloka kalpita sri ganeshwara
Mahaganesha nirbhinna vighnayentra praharsita)
316. With that shaktisena’s ignorance and sleep was dispelled, they immediately got
ready for the war.
317. Now Vighneswara along with this army came out of the fire barrier and started
fighting with Vishukra.
318. Vishukra sent Gajasura to attack him but soon Gajasura was slayed. Seeing this
Vishukra ran away.
Annihilation of Vishukra and Vishanga
319.After discussing with Bhandasura, Vishukra came back to war, along with his
brother Vishanga and son- in –law. With this the third day war had started.
320. Mantrini and Dandanatha both started to fight simultaneously
321. In the front was Dandanatha devi mounted on her kirichakra ratha with her
plough weapon (halayudha) swirling it rapidly.
322.Behind her was Mantrini devi mounted on Geyachakra ratha as an archer with
bow and arrows
323.Dandanatha devi attacked Vishunga.
324. Mantrini devi confronted Vishukra.
325. Ashwarudha, Sampatkari and others attacked the son- in-law of the demons
who had come .
326.The army of the demons started slackening. Noticing this Vishukra discharged
Trushastram(weapon which produces thirst). Shaktisena’s army started to
experience intense thirst.
327.Then Dandanatha devi invited ‘Madyasamudra’(=ocean of liquor) devata from
her kirichakra and quenched their thirst.
328. Madyasamudra deva showered liquor rains. With that the army quenched their
thirst and rejuvenated.
329. By sunset most of the demons including Bhanda’s son-in-law had died.
330. Then Shyamala devi (Mantrini) fought with Vishukra and killed him with
‘Brahmashironamakastra’ (a powerful weapon named brahmashira)
331. Dandanatha devi (Potrini) killed Vishanga with her plough weapon and pestle.
However in Lalita sahasranama it is mentioned that Vishukra was killed by Varahi
and Vishanga was killed by Mantrini—
Mantrinyamba virachita vishanga vadhatoshita
Vishukra prana harana varahiveryanandita
332. By then it was past midnight.
333. Only Kutilaksha the commander in chief was left over to console Bhandasura
334.Bhanda along with Kutilaksha started towards the battlefield
335.2185 akshohini army along with 40 commanders followed him
336. A). He boarded a chariot named ‘Aabhilamu’(=dreadful).It is dragged by 1000
lions instead of horses.
B). His sword is named Yatana (= torture in hell)
337. Noticing this Lalita devi herself started moving in her Srichakra raja ratha
towards the warfront
338. Behind her was Mantrini in Geyachakra ratha followed by Potrini in kirichakra
339.Other shakti deities followed her in crores.
340. In the usage of sastra’s (mystic weapons) and pratyastra (corresponding
neutralising weapons), none of them were drawn aback
(LSN—Bhandasurendra nirmukta shastra pratyastra varshini)
341.Now Bandasura by his mystical powers regenerated Madhukaitabha, Raktabija
and other old demons
342. Then Lalita devi made a violent frenzied laughter –Durga devi and other deities
described in chandisaptashati were born and slayed these demons
343. Now Bhanda generated Somaka and other demons
344. Then Lalita devi generated the 10 incarnations of Vishnu from the finger tips of
her hands (LSN – Karanguli nakhotpanna narayana dasakrutih)
345. Sun was about to set. Lalita devi decided not to delay any more. She then
discharged Narayana astra and Pashupata astra and destroyed the demons and their
commanders who were all turned down into ashes
(LSN—Mahapashupatastragni nirdagdhasura sainyaka)
346 .Now Bhandasura was the only one left
347. Lalita devi discharged the Mahakameshawarastra and annihilated Bhandasura .
Immediately his shunyaka town got burnt down. (LSN—Kameshwarastra nirdagdha
348. Gods proclaimed victory of Lalita devi on the drums and they showered flowers,
lighted camphor blazes and shouted victory slogans...
Kama sanjeevanam(rebirth of kama)
349. Brahma, Vishnu, Indra and other gods praised Lalita devi’s grandeur
(LSN—Brahmopendra mahendradi deva samstuta vaibhava)
350 In that praise they proclaimed thus-
A.) Mother! Bhanda is dead but his friend Taraka is still alive to trouble us.
B.) To annihilate him Shiva must have a son
C.) We were trying for the same but in the mean while Manmadha (god of love) died
and all these events happened
D.) Therefore kindly give rebirth to Manmadha and perform the marriage of Shiva
351. Lalita devi smiled compassionately and looked at Kameshwara. From her looks
Manmadha took rebirth .(LSN- Haranetragni sandagdha amasanjeevanaushadhih=
Lalita devi is the sacred herb sajeevini which gave rebirth to Manmadha who was
destroyed by the fire from Shiva’s eye).
352. Rati and Manmadha prostrated to the mother goddess and praised her.
353. The mother goddess blessed them and instructed-
A.) Manmadha! Now you need not fear
B.) Go once again and cast your magical arrow on Shiva
C.) Shiva will loose to you and will marry Parvathi
D.) With my blessings Shiva will do you no harm.
E.) From now on you can enter every ones body and cause aesthetic/ sensuous
pleasures to them.
F.) Protect my devotees
354. At the instructions of mother goddess Manmadha with his family went and cast
his magic charm on Shiva. This time Shiva left renunciation and started searching
vehemently for parvathi
355. Then Manmadha cast magical arrows on Parvati also
356. Shiva was very pleased with parvathi’s penance. He appeared before her,
granted a boon and married her.
357. Kumaraswamy was born to Shiva and Parvathi .He became the commander of
god’s army and annihilated Tarakasura. He then married Devasena devi, the
daughter of Indra.
358.After helping all the gods Manmadha left to Sripura to serve goddess Lalita devi.
(to be continued)
Devi vijaya yatra (Devi’s victory procession)
222. Later Lalita devi, making the noise emanating from the four oceans as the
drums and accompanied with several other instruments proceeded for the battle
223. From Lalitha devi’s Ankusham (=spear), ‘Sampat karidevi’, came out along
with crores and crores of elephants and started following Lalita devi (sampatkari
samarudha sindhura vraja sevita ) .
224. Sampatkari Devi was sitting on the elephant named ‘Ranakolahalam’ (=battle
bustle, battle uproar).
225. From Lalita devi’s Pasham (=whip) arose Ashwaroodha devi along with a big
army of horses and was moving in front of Lalita devi.
(ashwarudhadhishtishtaswa koti kotibhiravruta) .
226. The horse carrying Ashwaroodha devi was named ‘Aparajitam’ (=one which
cannot be defeated).
227. Later , commander of the army Dandanatha devi played the drums to start
228. As the march started Dandanatha devi got down from her chariot and sat down
on the lion. The lion is named ‘Vajraghosham’ (kirichakra ratha rudha damdanadha
229. All her soldiers started praising her by twelve different names.
(Panchami dandanatha cha sakjeta samayeshwari
tatha samaya sakjeta varahi potrini tatha
vartali cha maha sena pyajna chakreshwari tatha
arighni cheti samproktam nama dwadasakam yune)
230. Later Mantrini devi played the drums of marching. Her soldiers were mainly
decorated sensuously. They were playing veenas and singing.
231. Mantrini devi was moving in her Geyachakra ratha (circle of army formed by
singers) [geyachakra ratha rudha mantrini parisevita]
232. She was being praised by sixteen names.
Sangeeta yogini shyama shyamala mantra nayika
mantrini sachiveshani pradhaneshi shukapriya
vina vati vainiki cha mudrini priyakapriya
nipapriya kadambeshi kadamba vanavasini
sadamada cha namani shodashaitaini kumbhaja
One who recites this strotra can conquer all the three worlds.
233. Then, from the bird in the hands of Mantrini devi, appeared god Dhanurveda
with a spectacular bow in his hand and said “Mother! this bow is called chitrajeevam.
This quiver is akshaya (=one which is unlimited, fills up spontaneously).Please
accept them for demolishing the demons.”
234. Now Lalita devi started moving with sugarcane, bow, arrows, spear and whip in
235. She is being praised with 25 names
simhasanesi lalitha maharajni varankusha
sundari chakranatha cha samrajni chakrini ratha
chakreshwari mahadevi kameshi parameshwari
kamaraja priyakamakotika chakravartini
mahavidya shivananga vallabha sarvapatala
kulanatha amnayanatha sarvamnaya nivasini
shringara nayika cheti pancha vimshati namabhih
One who recites this stotra attains ashtasiddhi (8 spiritual accomplishments)
236. Bandasuravadhodyukta shaktisena samanvita in Lalita sahasranama stotram
means one who is ready with her army (shaktisena) to annihilate Bhandasura.
Bhanda’s war preparation :
237. While Lalita devi was proceeding for the war, many bad omens were observed
in Bhanda’s ‘Shunyaka’ town.
238. Bhandasura called upon an urgent meeting along with his brothers Vishukra
and Vishanga to assess and evaluate the situation.
239. In the meeting vishukra spoke thus
a.) All gods have burnt themselves by jumping into fire, out of despair
b.)From that fire arose mother goddess, who rejuvenated all gods
c.) She is coming for a war with us, along with an army of women
d.)Those gods are trying to cut stones using tender leaves
e.)Even then we should not neglect that woman. We must send our army
240. Vishanga told
a.) Any work should only be done after properly thinking about it.
b.)First we must send spies and see how powerful their army is.
c.) We must not under estimate the enemies army.
d.) In the past Hiranyakashipa was killed by an animal.
e.)Sumbha and Nishumbha were killed by a woman.
f.) So, we must get more information about her
g.)Who is she ? Who is supporting or protecting her?
What does she want? All these queries should be answered
241.Listening to this Bhandasura shuddered the proposal with a sarcastic grin. Even
if all the gods are behind her, we have nothing to fear. Do not entertain such useless
thoughts and spoil your mind
242. Immediately Bhandasura ordered ‘Kutilaksha’, Commander-in-chief of his army,
to protect the fort
243. He ordered the priests and ministers to perform abhichara(black magic) homa
244.He ordered Lalita to be dragged to him holding her hair
245.Now, the demons played the war drums. Kutilaksha sent the first batch of army
with demon Durmada as the commander
246.At Shunyapura Kutilaksha made arrangements for protection -
Eastern entry _ Tala jangha, Southern entry - Tala bhuja, Western entry -- Tala
griva, Northern entry - Tala ketu were placed along with 10 akshohini army each.
247.For each corner of the town another 10 akshohini was allocated for protection
Shakti senas’s uproar
248. Durmada was confronted by Sampatkaridevi and her army of elephants (who
arose from Lalita devi’s spear)
249. Realising that his army was being defeated Durmada himself came for the war
seated on a camel
250. Sampatkari devi who was seated on ‘Ranakolahala’ her elephant, faced him.
251. In the ferocious battle Durmada was able to destroy one gem from the crown of
252. Angry with this, Sampatkari devi killed Durmada with her arrows which pierced
253. With that the remaining demons fled back to their town out of fear.
254. Listening to this Bhandasura was very angry and sent Durmada’s elder brother
Kurunda for battle. He is an expert in maya yuddha(war using mystical powers)
255.Full of vengeance he attacked Sampatkari devi
256. In the meanwhile Ashwarudha devi who had taken birth from Lalita devi’s whip
came forward and pleaded Sampatkari devi to give her a chance to fight with this
257. Now Ashwarudha devi along with her army pounced upon Kurunda
258. Ashwarudha devi mounted on ‘Aparajita’ was herself leading the army. In that
battle she killed Kurunda by piercing his chest with her spear. Remaining demons
fled for their lives.
259. Bhanda became furious. He sent a huge army this time (100 akshohini) along
with 5 commanders.
260. They materialised serpent gods by name ‘Ranashambari’ which attacked
shaktisena. The demons had previously defeated gods using these mystic powers.
261. Crores and crores of serpents, which arose from the serpent gods, started
torturing the shaktisena.
262. They were taking birth again and again even after being killed a number of
263. Then Nakuli devi mounted on garuda came to the battlefield. From her mouth
came out 32 crores of mongooses. These mongooses started gobbling up all the
newborn serpents immediately after birth.
264. Then Nakulidevi killed Ranashambari with Garudastram
265. All the five commanders now attacked Nakuli devi
266. Nakuli devi’s mongoose army attacked them from the rear
267. In that ferocious battle Nakuli devi who was mounted on Garuda was making
aerial strikes on the demons who were not able to catch her. She killed the five
commanders by chopping of their heads
268. Bhanda after listening to this sent Valahaka and other seven commanders along
with 300 akshohini army.
269.These seven demons are sons of demoness named Kikasa.In the past they
obtained a boon from sun god that- at the time of war sun would reside in their
270. As soon as these demons entered the battlefield the shaktisena army started
becoming blindfolded and incapacitated unable to face the brilliance of their eyes.
Demons started becoming ferocious.
271. Immediately the bodyguard of Dandanatha devi –named Tiraskarinika devi,
entered the battle field mounted on an aeroplane named ‘Tamoliptam’.
272.At the order of Damdanatha devi she discharged an arrow named ‘Andhanastra’,
and the seven commanders were forced to close their eyes. Now shakti sena started
273. Keeping Tiraskarinika devi in the forefront, other gods killed the seven
274. With this blow Bhandasura lost his senses. He called upon his two brothers for a
275. In that meeting it was decided that Vishanga would attack devi’s army from its
rear side in a treacherous way (This is called Parshti grahamu). This decision was
taken because they got information from their spies that Lalita devi was having less
army and protection at her rear end and it was easier for them to approach Lalita
devi directly and attack her, if they approached from the rear.
276. After the first day’s war, at dusk, Vishanga with a small army proceeded to the
rear of Lalita devi’s army noiselessly without any drums
277. By then Lalita devi’s army was moving westward. Vishanga along with his army
moved north wards and then turned to reach eastern side
278. He was able to see Srichakraraja chariot very near to him. Lalita devi was
looking forward observing the movement of the army. She was not having much
army close to her
279. Taking this opportunity Vishanga attacked devi’s chariot from the rear, all of a
280 Anima and other gods who were present there were taken back at this sudden
attack but quickly recovered themselves and prepared for a counter fight.
281. Exactly at the same time Kutilaksha along with ten akshohini army attacked
from the front side
282. Seeing attack from both ends Lalita devi was a little angry. In the mean while,
struck by an arrow from Vishanga, the fan present in Lalita devi’s hand fell down and
283. Seeing this Tithidevatas got very angry. They went and requested Lalita devi
that Vahnivasini and Jwalamalini nitya devas have property and capacity of self
illumination. If they glow then the demons who are in the dark will all become
284. With the permission of Lalita devi, Vahnivasini and Jwalamalini devis started
glowing like fireballs. All the demons who were hiding in darkness now became
285. Now the 16 nitya devi’s became outrageous and attacked Vishanga’s army. All
the commanders in the demons army died.
286. Wounded all over the body Vishanga fled for his life shamelessly. Even
Kutilaksha who attacked from the front also fled. (In Lalita sahasranama -
nityaparakrama topa nirikshana samatsuka =seeing the valour of nityadevatas,Lalita
devi was very pleased)
287. Mantrini devi and Dandanatha devi felt unhappy about this unprecedented
attack in the night They felt very sorry that their arrangements of protection were
not up to the mark.
(to be continued)